A few interesting discussion points from my notes:
- Products often come from satisfying an internal need
- Working on products have many intangible benefits, including:
- Increased motivation
- "Bragging rights" for developers
- How do you know when to "unbind" the product from the service company? No clear answers:
- When the product needs investment in marketing, support, enhancements, etc.?
- When the market is established?
- How do you know when to "kill" the idea?
- Treat it the same way as you would any investment
- If it is being used and generating value internally, this question isn't relevant
- Ask yourself: Is the product a hobby, or a business?
I found this discussion extremely valuable as we begin to productize our own internal system: http://softwarepms.com/
Thanks to everyone who attended, and especially to Andrew for facilitating, and Jet Cooper for hosting.
Post a Comment