We talked about the concept of "failing successfully". Here are a few notes I took:
- Don't put all your eggs in one basket
- "Parallel prototyping" helps -- better results with the same overall effort
- Make sure you learn lessons for future projects
- Admit your mistakes frankly
- When do you stop?
- Sometimes it's very hard to let go of an idea
- Always get external feedback -- advisory boards, etc.
- Example of successful failure: the production of Iron Giant
- Metrics and measurement:
- Define success and define failure
- Did you make money? Did you build your brand?
- Tie your metrics back to goals
- Always do a port-mortem
... and some thoughts of my own on the topic:
- WGMGD -- What gets measured gets done
- My biggest take from a Services Marketing class I took a while back
- Don't be "stealthy"
- Get your product out there as early as possible and get feedback
- "First to market" and "stolen ideas" are myths
- "Failure is always an option"
Thanks again everyone for a great meetup!