- What's involved in management?
- Timelines, resources, problems/obstacles
- When to micro-manage?
- Highly selective micro-management
- What are the key things you need?
- Need to let people fail and fix things themselves when possible
- But maybe not when it's on a client's critical path
- When to step in? When things aren't going as expected or estimated
- Make sure workers know when to flag things and ask for help
- Manager's job: Find out the impediments and remove them
- Need to give frequent feedback, especially positive
- Don't forget about the positive feedback -- it's easy to only give feedback when there's problems
- Hiring: People observe who stays and who is let go
- Contributes to group culture
- Tools: Pivotal Tracker, Basecamp (good for discussions), Trac (didn't like), PMRobot (coming soon :), Intervals, Bugzilla, Fogbugz, JIRA (bloated, enterprise-y), Redmine (customizable)
- Pivotal Tracker: Velocity / points system works really well
I was really interested by the tools discussion, and on a related note, prepared a quick Google Docs survey. Check it out --> How do you manage? -- I'll post the results at a future session.
Post a Comment